American Zinc Products
Rail Car Offloading Operator
This position is at our Rutherford County, North Carolina location, and will be part of the Operations Department receiving raw material for rail car unloading. This position is the first position in the process and is responsible for starting and maintaining a steady flow of feedstock materials.
- Facilitate the transfer of hazardous materials and acids from rail cars to tank storage, pipeline, and (or) tank truck.
- Perform equipment inspections, make coupler/hose connections, climb rail cars to ensure proper venting, and coordinate with the applicable railroad and regulatory agencies.
- Responsible for bulk liquid transfers—Opening and closing large gate valves, walking through the plant on uneven surfaces/gravel/rock/grass, and climbing stairs/catwalks/vertical ladders.
- Operate various style pumps, troubleshoot, and perform basic maintenance/repairs.
- Participate in hazardous material handling and safety training programs.
- Transload Operations—Climb onto rail cars, operate straps, open and close rail car doors, and operate with ramps. Complete inventory documentation, shipping papers, and other documentation. Stack and band material as necessary. Ensure correct material arrived and correct material is shipped out. Operate other equipment as necessary.
- Switching Operations—Work with switch crew to perform safe rail car movements, including rail car inspections, understanding and determining car movements, operating switches, watching for obstructions, climbing ladders onto rail cars, operating handbrakes, riding on rail cars and locomotives, and using and understanding radio communications and hand signals.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- 3–6 months of rail experience (loading, offloading, moving rail cars).
- Ability to climb ladders and stairs multiple times per shift.
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently move up to 50 pounds.
- Personal protective equipment is required on a regular basis, including hard hats, safety glasses, steel-toed boots, respirators, protective clothing, and gloves.
- Competent with the safe operation of hand tools, power tools, and equipment.
- Excellent time management, attention to detail, and communication skills (verbal and written).
- Must be willing to accept accountability and work well within a team.
- Must be able to work effectively under pressure and perform duties under stressful situations.
- Ability to understand and convey verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English.
- Basic math, computer, and mechanical skills.
- Understanding of chemical processes preferred.
- Experience with DOT, OSHA, and all related safety regulations preferred.
- Must maintain a clean and safe work area.
· MUST be able to work outdoors in ALL types of weather.
To apply for this job please visit forms.zohopublic.com.